Thursday, December 20, 2012

The Making of My Christmas Card 2012


     "I know I gave birth to you, but I swear, when you get me into these fixes, I sometimes wonder if you came from under a cabbage leaf."  Mom said those words to me as she climbed in the bug to prepare for the day's adventure.  I've got pictures of so many people I love, but I sure don't have many photographs of Mom and me together.  Now, I don't think I need very many.  In fact, I think I might just need the one you see at the heading of this entry.  I really don't know how I could possibly design a pose to depict our relationship any better.
      I learned at an early age that Santa is a second string player in the whole glory that is Christmas.  My mom taught me about Jesus first.  She taught me to believe about a baby born in a manger.  That established the idea of what "believe" meant in my young mind.  After I knew God's reason for our most glorious season, then she got busy with Santa (no pun intended).  We didn't need an elf on our shelf.  When you live with Bebe and you know Jesus is on her side, you must be good.  Period.  Santa was never used as a threat regarding my behavior.  Jesus, the Ten Commandments, and switch were a promise.
     At some point in my adult life, the Joseph went missing from her manger scene and I still live in constant paranoia that she thinks I stole her Joseph.  I swear; I didn't.  Holly Cheek has shopped literally from Middlesboro to Italy trying to find a proper replacement for Mom's missing Joseph, and there isn't one to be found.  Every year at Thanksgiving, Mom starts talking about what she'd like to give me for Christmas, and then she says, "I'd get you something else, but I know you have my Joseph." This is my public plea for help.  Please, if you see Mom in public, tell her I don't have her Joseph.  No matter how well I try to behave, this Joseph issue comes up every year.
      So, I convinced her we would be darling.  I convinced her we would be divas.  I convinced her that I'd behave, say no bad words, and promised not one hair on her head would be out of place when we finished.  After our glam squad work, some costume fittings, and pose discussions, we finally looked into the camera and made up for a lot of lost time in pictures. 
     Today, my aunt Sandy sent me an email and reminded me of an image I'd give gold to have on film today.  My papaw Steve loved Christmas as much as he loved fishing.   Sandy reminded me though that every year,  a small, crooked line of Christmas lights would adorn the hand built fence row that invited guests to enter through an antique gate like all of your grandparents had.  I had forgotten about those lights, and I try so hard not to forget.  I've tried to imagine what my papaw would think if he saw this picture.  I'm pretty sure he'd look at mom and say, "Well, at least you're a ten point."

    I have had a happiness headache for days waiting for the actual cards to reach far distant lands where my family members call home.  I've wanted to come here to ...hellofuzzy... and tell you about the happiest photo shoot of my life, but I managed to restrain from pointing and clicking and ruining a surprise.  This was absolutely the work of more than merely me.  Daniel England secured the location and shot the pictures for us.  I cannot thank him enough.  The wardrobe was supplied by another of Santa's elves, but I can't reveal those details for fear of ruining some magic for my young readers of ...hellofuzzy...  That particular elf and his wife know I'm thankful that they entrusted me with such a heirloom.  Mom was sitting on a stack of dictionaries.  If she sat in the actual seat, you could only see the tippy top of her antlers, and that just would not do.
     For as many laughs, giggles, and chuckles these images have provided you, knowing that our Christmas card has brought joy to a few homes has really filled Mom and me up with more pride and sparkle than two gals should be allowed to contain by law.  We've spent hours on the phone, texting, calling, and emailing each other while compiling US Post Office delivery stats, "Who have you heard from today?" while we compared notes regarding your responses to what we hope has been a very Merry Christmas surprise from us to you.

Now, here's a picture of Mom adjusting her "rack."  (again...no pun intended)


    And, in a moment of sincerity, know that I am thankful for my ...hellofuzzy... world and all of you who read my words and share my spirit.  As Christmas Day approaches, let us gather with those we love and hold them just a little bit tighter this year than last...simply because we can. 

    Merry Christmas from ...hellofuzzy...  and Bebe, too.